CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

digital vs traditional

I've been trying to get motivated to start scrapbooking (i've got a lot of catching up to do) for various reasons...
1) to have a hobby to keep my hands & brain busy so I don't think about food so much
2) creative outlet
3) get my photos in a format others can actually look at

In doing this I emailed my mother in law with some questions about some products, long story short, she suggested I seriously consider digital scrapbooking for Ainsleigh's book (all of her photos are digital). So, i'm looking for some opinions and personal experience here...

digital pros:
1 - cheaper in teh long run
2 - not as messy
3 - looks easier overall
4 - I can change it a bunch if I want until I like the results

digital cons:
1 - requires sitting in front of a computer
2 - now what do I do with all the stuff I have (although I do have my mission, my entire life, our life, and brody's mision (second half only) to do)
3 - not sure if i'll like the way it looks not being actually 3-D
4 - will it really fulfill my creative outlet need?

Please let me know what you think, and refer anyone else who might have an opinion to share as well. I really want to do what's best, and am therefore, continuing to put it off. Thanks for sharing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I've already told you what I'm doing but I'm doing Peyton's first year by hand and then the rest digital. I have a friend that did her kids first 2 years by hand and the rest digital other than school papers, drawings, etc that is hard to do digitally. A doctor I work with suggested that I do all her professional pics/ really cute ones by hand and the rest digital so it has some fun to the nice pictures. So anyways... you can always do a mixture of both. As for the tutu. You just buy some elastic and sew it to the size of her waist and then cut up a bunch of tool into different width/length strips and tie it to the waist band. It's called a no sew tutu. I did sew the tool, just above the knots, to the waistband however when I was done just so the knots would stay in place and not twist. You can buy tool at 99cents a yard and they have all sorts of colors and some have a shine to them. You can mix colors or just do it all one color. You need about 4-5 yds. Call me or e-mail me if you have any questions.

Katie said...

k, you asked for it, here's what i think.
why would you want to get yourself motivated to scrapbook, digitally or traditionally?!?!?!?

Lila said...

I am turning Pro digital because it is so much fun to do. I don't have to purchase the little supplies that i must have, I don't have to worry about running out of stickies for my pictures, and when you are done, the scrapbook becomes more of a "book" that you can refer to and read like a story to your kids. I love the idea of digital, and I am just starting to get into it....but, I too have the same dilemma...what do you do with all the products you already have?? The answer is to make cards. Good luck!

Brady and Rachel said...

I really can't give you an opinion because I am still waiting to make that decision myself when I get settled. I'm excited to see what you decide and how it turns out, and maybe it will help me to choose. I guess in a way doing it by hand is more of a social event, something you can do with friends, whereas on the computer seems like it would be much more solo. Though I have rarely scrapbooked at all, with or without friends.